My latest cooking love right now is Coconut Oil. After hearing so much good things about it (the good outweighing the bad), I had to try for myself. I found the Nutiva brand on sale at Whole Foods a few weeks ago (make sure to get organic and extra virgin) and started using it in some of my dishes.
The verdict? I likey! It smells exactly how you think it would, very nutty and well duh, coconut smelling. I used it for mostly stir-fry vegetables and chicken dishes and it gives the food an extra aroma of well, coconut! Not in a overpowering way, very subtle. I enjoy coconut so if you’re not a fan, you may not like how this makes your food taste. I also tried it when I was popping popcorn and it was just divine! I would definitely recommend getting yourself a bottle and putting it in your repertoire of oils. It has a high smoke point so good to go for high heat cooking!
Did you know the many other uses of coconut oil besides cooking?!
- Use on the delicate tissue around your eyes to help prevent wrinkles and sagging.
- Use as the base for homemade toothpaste or lotion.
- Use in place of massage oil.
- Use on your baby’s diaper rash or cradle cap.
- Use to help reduce visibility of stretch marks or to prevent stretch marks.
Check them all out here!