, , ,

“What’s a bustle?”

Only a few mere weeks ago, I was asking myself that as I was told I needed a bustle for my bridesmaids dress for a wedding in October.   In my twenty some years on Earth, I’ve never had to wear a dress with a train thus my oblivion.   Reading up about it, I found out some fascinating things about the bustle which is meant for one main goal.  Keep that train off the floor!

There are actually quite a few types of bustles but the common two is the American style of bustle and the French bustle.  The American style is the most simple and easy.  The train is folded up and drapes outside of the dress…it brings the train up to a single point.  Also called the overbustle, it is usually reserved for simple trains or ballgowns with less material.


Dress here

The French is a bit more tricky and reserved for mermaid silhouettes or longer and heavier gowns.   Also known as the underbustle, it’s almost the opposite of the American.   The material is folded down and tucked inside the dress in 3-5 points using ribbons and loops.   Definitely need the services of a few bridesmaids for this!


Dress here

Dress here

Which do you prefer?